By THOUSIF INC
thought may be something along the lines of "not until I am 30."
1. 3 in 10 American teen girls will get pregnant at least once before they turn 20.
2. In the industrialised world, the United States has one of the highest rates of teen pregnancy.
3. About 82% of teenage pregnancies are unintended.
4. Approximately 25% of teen mothers have a second child within 24 months of the birth of their first.
5. In 2017, 194,377 babies were born to women aged 15 to 19, resulting in an 18.8 birth rate per 1,000 women in this age group.
6. Teens who are sexually active and do not use contraceptives have a 90% chance of becoming pregnant within a year.
7. Pregnancy and childbirth contribute to girls' high school dropout rates.
8. According to one study, 22% of females and 14% of young males did not use contraception the first time they had sex.
9. Growing up in foster care has also been linked to higher rates of teen pregnancy.
10. Not all teen pregnancies end up in someone giving birth.
11. Teen mothers are more likely to end up impoverished and on public assistance programs, like welfare.
12. Native American, Black, and Hispanic women are more likely to become pregnant as teens than white women.
13. 8 out of 10 teen dads, about 80%, do not marry the mother of their child.
14. If your partner is older, you are more likely to become pregnant than those with partners closer in age.
15. Evidence has found that sex education programs can prevent teen pregnancies.